Sunday, August 15, 2010

Why Wait?

We've all heard "Save the best for last." My question is why?

I must confess that I've long held a subscription to this line of thinking. If I'm eating fresh fruit salad, I will make sure to save one of my favorite pieces for the last bite. It's nice to end on a good note...er, bite. If I have errands or chores I try to get the most unpleasant ones out of the way first. But does that really make sense?

Just today a friend posted on fb that she ate dessert before lunch. HURRAY! You go K! I'm proud of you.

A couple of days ago I was eating an enormous slice of watermelon. I had cut the melon away from the rind and filled a large bowl (hee hee hee... yay for me!). The first piece I forked wasn't from the sweeter, succulent center portion. It was from the outer section. As I took that bite, I realized that if I stayed true to form I ran the risk of filling up before I could eat the sweetest bits. I changed my tactic and dived into the middle.

What a GREAT decision. (Yes silly, little decisions can be GREAT.) I didn't finish the bowl of watermelon, but I finished the best part.

So why do we wait for the good stuff? This is not the waiting we do in relation to hearing God speak. Sometimes we know what lies before us but we choose to wait on our own accord. Why?

Even my 15 year-old niece gets it. See for yourself here and here. As my blue-eyed Bug reminds us, "...only God knows if there's going to be a later." Pretty good wisdom from a teenager, huh?

So if you hear God speaking, calling you to action, don't hesitate.

And eat the center of the melon first.

4 comments:

caitie said...

You've got a great point! and thanks for including me and my blog:).... although you could of shared the watermelon......lol

Dee said...

Did you take the pic of the watermelon? Fantastic!

t marie said...

OMW -NO. I wish I had taken that photo. Sorry to disappoint.

And Bug, I would'VE shared with you but you were gone. :)

Kecia said...

Hee hee! That's exactly my point. :) Love you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips