Friday, July 30, 2010

What's in Your Well?

I like colloquialisms, especially southernisms. (One of my favorites is "garbage in, garbage out." It's SO TRUE.) My daddy is famous for spouting some of the neatest things during a conversation. It is especially fun when I hear a new phrase -at least new to me.

Last Sunday at church the message was on effective communication. The scripture used was Ephesians 4: 29-32. I've been a big fan of E4:29 ever since I read Silver Boxes by Florence Littauer. The Message puts it this way, "Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift." Greg Addison's blog for more. It also has amazing food from Proverbs included. Mmmm, good stuff.
Unfortunately I tend to forget things and need reminders as life goes along. If you would like a great reminder you can visit

Later, sitting in class, several people were discussing what we had just heard from the pastor. We talked about Matthew 15:18 (But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart...). One of the teachers said that reminded him of something his grandmother used to say, "What's down in the well comes up in the bucket."

That's a new one on me.

And I like it!

There's a whole lot of truth in that country sayin'. It sure makes you look inward.

So what are you filling your well with? And how is it going to sound, look, smell, and feel when it comes back out?

If this is what is in our well, the world will see it when it makes its way out.


We may not have complete control over the thoughts or images that enter our minds, but we can control how long they linger. I do NOT have to entertain unwelcome visitors. Philippians 4:8 is a good guideline for keeping our hearts and minds on track. It says, "Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - thing about such things."

It's a moment by moment decision to keep our hearts and minds pure. Will we ever win? Not here, not now. But we still fight. And my heart and mind are worth fighting for!


This is what I want coming up in my bucket.


So what's down in your well?

1 comment:

Kecia said...

I love this! I love "Southernisms," too, and that's definitely a good one. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips